Old Park School Bricks to Rise Again at Museum

MacFarland Memorial Gift and Old Bricks Being Used for New Entrance

(August 23, 1956) -- Bricks from the old Park School and a Memorial Gift helped the Nutley Historical Society to start the final projects in the Museum Restoration program.

Following a sketch by James H. Bailey, masonry work on the new front porch and steps was started this week by George Ackerman.

Iron rails and appropriate meal lamps will be installed upon completion of the masonry work.

Much Nutley history will be preserved by the use of the bricks secured from the Park School built in 1894.

$1,000 Memorial Gift

Church Street School, now the Nutley Historical Society and Nutley MuseumThe memorial gift of $1,000 was presented to Miss Ann Troy for the Historical Society on March 12, 1948 by Miss Grace Maude Macfarland in memory of her mother, Mrs. Virginia Vreeland Macfarland, members of the Vreeland family whose ancestors were the oldest settlers in this area.

Mrs. Macfarland, who died on Oct. 29, 1949, had also presented a stained glass window to St. Paul's Congregational Church in memory of her mother.

Actively interested in the efforts of the Historical Society to preserve records and articles depicting Nutley's earliest days, Miss Macfarland stipulated that the gift be used at the discretion of the Society to restore the front of the building.

She requested use of a small brass plate bearing the following inscription: "In loving memory of Virginia Macfarland, 1850-1930 by daughter Grace".

Miss Macfarland was born Sept. 28, 1880, and died Oct. 29, 1949. She is survived by a sister, Mrs. Eva Adams of Maplewood.

On her mother's side of the family descended from the Lloyds of Virginia. Land owned by the Vreelands from Franklin Avenue to Vreeland Avenue has provided new streets now known as Warren Street, Adams Court and Lloyd Court.

The present site of the Bank of Nutley, Chestnut Street and Franklin Avenue, was originally the site of the home of Warren Vreeland.

The house, moved to 51 Enclosure, is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Blodgett.

The old Church Street School was acquired by the Historical Society from the Board of Education on Feb. 3, 1947 with an annual lease.

During the first year the Society centered its efforts of repairing the slate roof and converting the wooden addition in the rear to a five room apartment for the custodians, now Mr. and Mrs. Albert Jennings.

Church Street School, now the Nutley Historical Society and Nutley Museum20-Year Lease

A 20-year lease was granted on March 19, 1952, and restoration work on the first floor was put in operation.

The corner lots were leased from the Town of Nutley for use as a Colonial Garden. This attractive spot is cared for by the members of the Home Garden Club of Nutley.

Restoration of the second floor, where Museum activities are carried on, was completed in 1954 and the dedication exercises took place on Sept. 26, 1954.

The Museum is open for visitors on Sundays from 2-5 p.m. under the supervision of a volunteer committee headed by Miss Troy.

Special arrangements are made for group visits of public and parochial school classes, Cubs and Brownies and other Scout troops.

Membership in the historical society, which directs the Museum activities, is open to any one interested.

The mailing list includes Newton, Conn.; Springfield, Ohio; Fredonia, N.Y.; Brookings, S.D.; St. Petersburg, Fla.; Huntington, W. Va.; Kansas City, Mo.; and San Francisco.

The officers for the Society are Robert F. Head, president; Phillip H. Woodcock, vice-president; Miss Elsie Ryan, secretary; Miss Helene Matt, treasurer; Mrs. B. Symmonds, George Brownell, Charles S. Hammond, Harry D. Cromley, Mrs. Charles Guenzler, chairman of the Special Committees, and Miss Troy.

Source: The Nutley Sun, August 23, 1956

Photo - Church Street School - Courtesy Nutley Board of Education

Nutley Historical Society

A not-for-profit organization dedicated to serve the educational,
cultural and historical needs of our community.

About Us

Museum

Slide-Show Gallery

Museum Store

Join Now

Officers

Copyright & Reprint Information

Directions

Contact Us via email

65 Church Street, Nutley N.J. 07110

Official Web Site
of the
Nutley Historical Society

RENT THE Historic First Floor of the  Nutley Museum for your event

Call to rent the hall:

973-667-1528

***

Like Us on Facebook

Check-in When You Visit

***

Email Contact - Nutley Historical Society

The Nutley Historical Society is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to serve the educational, cultural and historical needs of our community.

65 Church Street, Nutley N.J. 07110
973-667-1528


Copyright  2005-2017, Nutley historical Society, All rights reserved.

Copyright & Reprint Information


Site development & maintenance
provided at no cost to Nutley Historical Society,
sponsored by:

Nutley Sons Honor Roll

Email Webmaster

Links are subject to change